Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stroopwafels

Stroopwafels are a traditional Dutch cookie that is very hard to find fresh here. Thankfully I have inherited my mom's special stroopwafel iron and I've enjoyed making a batch of these treats about once a quarter. Yesterday I had my freshmen Bible study girls over to take a study break and make these cookies with me - they were delighted to learn and it was such a blast! I am not going to list the recipe because if you don't have the iron (which can't be bought in the states) then these cookies can't be made. However, I thought it would be fun to show you the step-by-step process through pictures. . .here we go!
This is the iron that is used. Right before making the cookies simply plug it in, rub a little olive oil on the plates and it's set to go.
Begin by making the yeast/sugar/water mixture - this is what makes the cookie easy to cut when it's still hot.
As the yeast mixture is doing its thing the rest of the dough is made. . .it looks like a lot of butter but this recipe makes well over 100 cookies!
Here is the yeast mixture that has "grown" a little while the butter mixture was being mixed.
8 cups of flour and the yeast mixture are added to the butter mixture and stirred together thoroughly.
The dough forms easily into a large ball.
Then I place it in a slightly warmed oven with a clean damp dish towel on top in order to let it rise.
During this time the syrup is made from brown sugar, dark Karo syrup, butter, and cinnamon. I let it come to a simmer and then turn it down again until it begins to thicken.
At this point I make sure that the kitchen is ready for action by arranging everything needed in such a way as to make things go as smoothly and quickly as possible.
Here's where the girls come in! The dough needs to be made into walnut-sized balls.
Then the process begins! First the dough is pressed in the hot iron, when done it is taken out and cut across while it's still hot. Then a quarter-size amount of syrup is placed in the center of one of the halves of the cookie, the other cookie is placed on top, and then it's squished around until the syrup has evened out all over the inside of the cookie.
The girls did such a great job and had such a blast learning how to make. . .and eat. . .these special treats.
Here's an upclose of the final product. I took a tray of them to a baby shower and they were a big hit. The girls took the rest of them to help them through finals week. If you've never tried these. . .let me know and the next time I make them I'll try to get some into your hands. . .err, mouth! :)



1 comment:

Andrea said...

sweet pictures! i love your pan...

well, now i'm hungry for waffley cookes with syrup... =)