Tuesday, March 4, 2008

French Dip Sandwiches

So here goes my first post on this...

I currently live at home with my parents and brothers (but only for another week or so!). Anyway, I often cook dinner so that we can eat at a decent hour. Tonight, we had French Dip Sandwiches. They were super easy, so I thought I'd share.

First, what you need: Rib roast, onions, oil/butter, garlic powder/salt, French rolls, Swiss cheese (or your favorite kind of cheese), package of au jus mix, salad and/or vegetables

My mom got the 4.2 pound hunk of meat shown above for about $12. It's much cheaper to buy it raw than to buy it from the deli. It took about 2 and a half hours to cook, 325 degrees (around half an hour per pound). I also a meat thermometer and stopped when it was at 160 degrees in the center of the meat. (140 for rare, 160 for medium, 170 for well done) If you don't want to cook a roast, you can always buy roast beef from the deli counter, but it is more expensive that way.

In the last half hour of the cooking time, I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil, made the au jus from a package, and made a salad. My brother carved the meat and we made sandwiches using French rolls, onions, and Swiss cheese. Dipped the sandwiches in the au jus while eating and ate the sandwiches with some salad.

All together, this was a very easy meal that fed a lot of people with left overs! The only thing is that you have to remember to put the roast in in the afternoon so that it will be ready at dinner time.

~Cari

1 comment:

Arijaan Bulk said...

Yay - sounds so yummy. I've ordered this in restaurants but have never considered making it myself. . .now I will, thanks to you my dear!