Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mexican Knock-off

So I was in the mood for a real meal and was able to scrounge around the kitchen for a few ingredients to make something delicious. Unfortunately I never really use measuring spoons so I will do my best to guess how much I put in, but I really think it is just a matter of personal preference.

Mexican Chili Chicken

Chicken breast cut into cubes
2-3 tsp chili powder
1-2 tsp Paprika
one clove garlic
one whole small onion
2 Tbs olive oil
salt
pepper
lime
cilantro

Put the oil and spices in a frying pan and warm. Add onion, garlic and chicken and mix until coated with spices. Cook on medium high until the chicken is "browned." Cover and turn all the way to low and simmer until chicken is cooked all the way through. It is important that you cook it slowly because otherwise the chicken will become dry. If you want it to be a little crisper right at the end you can turn the heat up and uncover it for a few minutes but you have to watch and stir.

I didn't have any lime or cilantro, but I think they would have been ideal condiments. I did mix in some sour cream and a little bit of sambal (indonesian "chili paste") to add a little spice.

I also served it with rice and black beans. I am a big fan of Bush's black beans. Still haven't figured out my favorite way to add zest to the black beans, so if anyone has a favorite recipe for those that would be awesome.

EET SMAKELIJK!

PS I am new to the recipe writing arena, so if I forget something don't hesitate to ask.

1 comment:

Cari said...

Sounds great! I love meals that come out of whatever's on hand, they always seem to turn out better!