Friday, July 25, 2008

Summer-time Salads

Summertime is such a great time - lots of sun. . .which leads to a lot of great fresh fruits and veggies, especially if you live in the Central Valley! Summertime is also a great time for easy meals that don't require using an oven. . .keeping the house as cool as possible is a good thing. Therefore, salads are a great option for a light and tasty meal. My good friend Lizzy passed on this Swedish recipe. . .modify it as you wish:

"Salad with Blackberries and Goat Cheese"

Mixed salad or fresh spinach
1/2 cup fresh bread, cut in cubes
1/4 cup blackberries (or blueberries)
1/2 pound goat cheese
1/4 cup raisins
3. tbsp roasted wheat kernels
2 small spring onions

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

Also, while I was in Santa Monica on several occasions I ordered a great salad from Dagwoods. . .here are the ingredients so that we can make it at home:
- dark, leafy greens
- lightly sweetened walnut pieces
- pineapple chunks
- avocado
- cheese (I think it was feta but I always ordered it without)
It came with a great balsamic dressing on the side - if you're in SLO I recommend picking up some of Upper Crust's balsamic dressing. . .or for a lighter, but still tasty, version head to Trader Joe's and snag their super cheap and fat free (what a great combo!) balsamic dressing. Yum!

Oh how I love summer! Post some of your favorite summertime dishes. . .

3 comments:

Andrea said...

mmm salads! i eat one almost every night. i've been using ken's light raspberry walnut balsamic vinaigrette dressing... really good! it's sweet but also slightly tangy (thanks to the balsamic vinegar). i add chopped walnuts (which i buy in bulk at winco... probably not a store in california) and dried cranberry-strawberries and feta cheese. even though arijaan discards it =) feta is really healthy: it's a great source of calcium. i read in women's health magazine that calcium in milk isn't really that accessible to your body and it's harder to absorb milk's calcium than the calcium in 4 tbs of feta (which, in all reality, is a TON of feta...).

i'm also a big fan of sunflower seeds on my salad. i like honey mustard dressing, and adding raw broccoli flowerettes and sunflower seeds on a bed of greens is great.

my parents grew 2 different kinds of lettuce this year in the garden, along with spinach-- so i get to reap the benefits of free leafy greens.

this is a really long comment-- sorry!!!

Arijaan Bulk said...

oh sounds so good! the only reason why I pass on the feta is because I'm lactose intolerant. . .I used to love it and highly recommend putting it on a salad even though I can't! :)

Katelyn said...

mmm these sound so good, i can't wait until i'm back in slo and can cook again!