Sunday, April 20, 2008

Easy Stir Fry

This is an easy, quick meal to make on a weeknight-- stir fry enough for two servings in case you want something scrumptious for lunch the next day. As I've probably mentioned before, I am queen of efficiency (and apparently don't mind paying the few extra dollars for convenience) and love to buy pre-prepared foods. The ingredients for this easy stir fry are staple items in my pantry:


-a few tablespoons of sesame oil (but if you don't have any, regular oil will do just fine. . . OR even better, use red chili oil)

- about a cup of frozen stir fry veggies (carrots, snow peas, broccoli, celery, mushrooms) and some extras if you have any on hand, like 1/4 onion, mushrooms, or baby carrots that are getting kinda dry

- a pinch or two of red pepper flakes


Add a few tablespoons of sesame oil to a fry pan. If you use fresh veggies, precook them a little with the red pepper flakes.



Then add the frozen stir fry vegetables. After looking at this picture, I thought that adding some red bell peppper would also add a nice flavor and color the dish. Play around-- see what vegetables you like.

Layer vegetables on top of some white rice.


I like to drizzle a little bit of soy sauce (try the reduced sodium kind!) on top of the vegetables and rice for a little added flavor. If you're conscious about sodium and like the flavor of the sesame oil and veggies, you can easily skip the soy sauce.


Enjoy! I'm a big fan of Dole 100% juice, so you can try pairing the stir fry with your favorite juice.

No comments: